Corn Buhr, Adams Mill F2520.tif
Two granite or limestone slabs, each weighing more than 1000 pounds, make up the corn buhr in the Adams Mill. The stones, each approximately 39 inches in diameter, are located on the second floor of the mill. The bottom stone is the only one that turns and is adjustable in height. An adjacent lift arm used for maintaining and sharpening the stones could be swung into position to the corn buhr. Coarse corn was ground between these two enormous stones that are original to the mill. In 1887, Levi Bishop converted the corn buhrs to rollers.
4 x 5 Large Format Film